Ordinance against Sexual Harassment
Short Title and Extent The present Ordinance is based on the Policy against Sexual Harassment by the Delhi University and seeks to maintain and create an academic and work environment free of sexual harassment for students, academic and non-teaching staff of the Delhi University. The Ordinance will also apply to outsiders and residents, on the Delhi University campus, to the extent specified herein these rules and procedures. (23)
- "Students" includes regular students as well as current ex-students of Delhi University.
- "Teaching Staff" include any person on the staff of the Delhi University or any colleges or institution affiliated to it, who is appointed to a teaching and/or research post, whether full time, temporary, ad-hoc, part-time,visiting, honorary, or on special duty or deputation and shall also include employees employed on a casual or project basis.
- "Non-Teaching Staff" includes any person on the staff of the Delhi University or of any colleges or institutions affiliated to it, who is not included in the teaching staff. It includes employees who are full-time,temporary, ad-hoc, part-time, visiting, honorary, or on special duty or deputation, and employees employed on a casual or project basis.
- "Member of the University" includes all those included in categories (i)-(iii) above.
- "Resident" includes any person who is a temporary or permanent resident of any of the accommodations or premises allotted to an employee by the University of Delhi or by any of its affiliated colleges or institutions.
- "Outsider" includes any person who is not a member of the University or a resident. It also includes, but is not limited to, any private person offering residential, food and other facilities to students, teaching staff or non- teaching staff of the Delhi University or any college or institution affiliated to Delhi University.
- "Campus" includes all places of work and residence in the Delhi University or any college or institution affiliated to the Delhi University. It includes all places of instruction, research and administration, as well as hostel, health centres, sports grounds, staff quarters and public places (including shopping centres, eating places, parks, streets and lanes) on the Delhi University campus or the campus of any college or institution affiliated to the Delhi University.
- "Sexual Harassment" includes any unwelcome sexually determined behaviour, whether directly or by implication and includes physical contact and advances, a demand or request for sexual favours,sexually-coloured remarks, showing pornography or any other unwelcome physical, verbal or non-verbalconduct of sexual nature. Explanation: “Sexual Harassment” shall include, but will not be confined to the following:
- When submission to unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favours, and verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature are made, either implicitly or explicitly, a ground for any decision relating to employment, academic performance, extracurricular activities, or entitlement to services or opportunities at the Delhi University.
- When unwelcome sexual advances, and verbal, non-verbal and/or physical conduct such as loaded comments, remarks or jokes, letters, phone calls or e-mail, gestures, exhibition pornography, lurid stares, physical contact, stalking, sounds or display of a derogatory nature have the purpose and/or effect of interfering with an individual‟s performance or of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive environment.
- When a person uses, with a sexual purpose, the body or any part of it or any object as an extension of the body in relating to another person without the latter‟s consent or against the person‟s will, such conduct will amount to sexual assault.
- When deprecatory comments, conduct or any such behaviour is based on the gender identity/sexual orientation of the person and/or when the classroom or other public forum of the University is used to denigrate/discriminate against a person or create a hostile environment on the basis of a person‟s gender identity/sexual orientation.